Instagram Twitter Email Bloglovin' Google Plus Youtube Pinterest Image Map

July 3, 2012

Kinderchat Summer Blogging Challenge


Kinderchat’s Summer  Blogging Challenge:  Question 1

This summer I am participating in #kinderchat’s Summer Blogging Challenge.  Every Friday a question or topic is posted, related to reflecting on the school year.  We reply on our blogs.  Sounds like fun! 

The question for last Friday was:
What did you learn this past (or, for our southern hemisphere friends, what ARE you learning this current) school year that you couldn’t have learned any other year, from any other students or colleagues or administrators or parents? What lessons did this particular year, this particular setting, these particular children bring into your life?

This year, I learned from my students how to be courageous.  Throughout the year I saw them doing the right thing even if it was difficult for them.  I was proud to see and listen to them say: “No! He had it first.  Hey! You’re lying.  You need to share. Don’t push him.  Hands are not for hitting.  I don’t like it when you talk to me that way, it hurts my feelings. Let’s do it together, team work.  I have a solution to our problem. ” They stood up for themselves and for their friends.  They learned to solve conflicts betwen them and compromise.  They walked away from conflicts.  They told me the truth regardless of the consequences.  They did not give in to negative peer pressure (e.g., profane language or stealing).  They reminded me how important it is to be patient, honest, fair and just.  They reminded me to be brave and stand up for what I believe.  Even if I that means that sometimes I might be standing alone.

Also, I saw them face their fears with confidence.  I had a student who did not speak in public in September.  He gained confidence in our classroom and now enjoys participating in our class discussions, sharing his thoughts /opinions with others.  Many of my students were anxious to speak in public.  What a great accomplishment to see them explaining their work to their peers, reading at our school Mass in front of the whole school and performing a dance during our School Open House Talent Show in front of parents.  They had the courage to speak and perform in front of a group.

My students were willing to try new things and not give up if they did not get it right the first time.  “Let’s try it again. I will help you.”  When I was trying new web2tools with them and it didn’t work, they would say:” That’s OK Ms. Alvarez we can try it again tomorrow.”  Together we admitted to our mistakes.  We learned from each other.  They showed me to be brave and persevere. They reminded me to have the courage to admit that I didn’t know the answer and the courage to ask for help. 
I am thankful that I had the privilege of teaching this group of students.  A group of courageous students!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the courage of children amazing? I'm struck everyday with how brave they are and how the world would be so different if adults had that same sense of courage to do what is right. What a wonderful lesson to learn for the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Great post!!
    "They reminded me how important it is to be patient, honest, fair and just. They reminded me to be brave and stand up for what I believe. Even if I that means that sometimes I might be standing alone." Those are such great words! And so hard for Young (and Old!) Children to live by each day.

    And can't help but smile at "When I was trying new web2tools with them and it didn’t work, they would say:” That’s OK Ms. Alvarez we can try it again tomorrow.” Together we admitted to our mistakes." We've all been there! Can't help but love and appreciate the graciously forgiving nature of Young Children!

    ReplyDelete